Oak Knoll School in Summit, NJ is a Catholic, faith-based community that rewards initiative and new ideas, recognizes and encourages professional needs and goals, and supports the success of faculty and staff members. We pride ourselves on our talented and diverse group of professionals that goes above and beyond to foster relationships with our students and has an essential part in creating confident, responsible, and creative individuals.
If you are interested in employment at Oak Knoll and do not see a current opening, please feel free to submit your resume, regardless of an open position. We are always looking for top talent.
Non-faculty and administrative positions may become open at any time throughout the year. To apply for an open position, please email your resume and cover letter to the contact noted on the specific job opening. Should your qualifications and background meet the needs of our school and the particular department, you will be contacted directly with next steps.
While openings may occur at any time of the year, Oak Knoll School’s typical recruitment process for teaching faculty begins in January for a faculty member to begin employment the following September.
- To apply for an open position, please email your resume and cover letter to the contact noted on the specific job opening.
- Should your qualifications and background meet the needs of our school, you will be granted a phone interview with either the Division Head or Department Chair.
- Following the phone interview, those who are selected will be invited on campus for an in-person interview for a day.
- While on campus for your interview, you will interview with the Division Head, Academic Dean, Department Chair and various faculty members. All of which will provide you with an overview of the mission of our school, the goals of the department and the expectations of the role.
- You will also be required to conduct a teaching demonstration and be observed teaching a lesson to a class.
- Finalists will then meet with the Head of School.
- Once an offer of employment is accepted, you will need to complete our employment application packet. Your offer of employment is contingent upon a thorough background and reference check process.
By following this hiring process, candidates will be able to gain a good perspective of what it would be like to be a part of our community.
Oak Knoll encourages employees to continue learning and growing in their professional areas of expertise. Throughout every school year, there are various on-campus and off-campus professional development opportunities, including:
- Peer-led sessions/workshops
- Expert guest speakers
Study grants are available to full-time employees to continue their education by offsetting the cost of:
- Tuition for advanced courses
- Summer work to develop a program for the school curriculum
- Enrichment in conjunction with the school curriculum
- Enrichment in conjunction with one’s professional responsibilities
- Opportunities to attend professional conferences
The determination of our dedicated teaching and non-teaching staff is critical to our success. We recognize this commitment by providing excellent benefits and services that address the needs of our employees, creating opportunities for careers in education each year. These include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary structure
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision package
- Very generous retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variety of financial assistance programs
In an effort to offer a comprehensive benefits package and a competitive compensation package, annual benchmarking is conducted to ensure that we remain competitive with our local peer independent schools and to remain within 90 percent of what the local public schools offer.
Oak Knoll is located in Summit, New Jersey, a suburban community in Union County, just 20 miles outside of New York City. Summit is easily accessible by NJ Transit (Morris Essex, Midtown-Direct line), NJ Transit # 70 bus, and car from Newark International Airport, the Garden State Parkway in addition to Routes 24, 78 & 287.
- Oak Knoll School is less than 1 mile from the nearest train station
- Summit is 20 miles west of NYC
- Median home value in Summit is $857,000
- Many of our faculty live in the City of Summit and surrounding towns, including Basking Ridge, Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Morristown, Springfield and Westfield
Oak Knoll seeks a full time STEM Teacher for grades 3-6 in the Lower School for the 2020-21 academic year. Bachelor’s degree, demonstrated expertise in STEM curriculum and instruction, and prior classroom teaching experience required. Primary responsibility will be teaching science to grades 3 through 6. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and professional references to email@example.com
Oak Knoll seeks a Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) for the 2021-2022 academic year. Candidates must have 7+ years of relevant experience. Advanced degree in related field preferred. To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Associate Head of School, Jennifer Landis, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 44 Blackburn Road, Summit, NJ 07901.
The Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice at Oak Knoll is a senior level administrator who is committed to the mission of the school and works to promote diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in the school community. The Director of DEIJ has a special role in carrying out the vision of Oak Knoll education. S/he does this through the development of the program and supporting the growth of all members of the school community.
The Director of DEIJ and all members of the community work to support the following core beliefs:
- God is central in our lives.
- A nurturing educational environment supports personal, moral, intellectual, and spiritual development.
- A challenging curriculum promotes intellectual growth.
- An open mind leads to a lifetime of learning.
- All voices deserve to be heard and respected.
- Each person has gifts and talents that enrich the community.
- Understanding and appreciation of difference lead to the celebration of diversity.
- A cooperative spirit and giving nature are essential to living the Holy Child philosophy.
- Each person is called to work for principles of justice, peace, and compassion in every facet of life.
- With God working in us, we [can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine.] ~ EPHESIANS 3:20
The Director of DEIJ at Oak Knoll holds responsibilities that include curricular and extra-curricular programs and initiatives across all constituencies of the school. For a complete job description click here.
Oak Knoll seeks a PK-6 Music Teacher to join the Arts department in the Lower School for the 2021-22 academic year. Candidates must have 3+ years teaching experience. Responsibilities include teaching as well as creating Christmas and Spring concerts and providing music for signature and liturgical events. To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Lower School Division Head, Christine Spies, via her assistant at email@example.com or 44 Blackburn Road, Summit, NJ 07901.
Oak Knoll seeks a PK-6 Physical Education and Health Teacher to join the Athletic department in the Lower School for the 2021-22 academic year. Candidates must have 3+ years teaching experience. To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Lower School Division Head, Christine Spies, via her assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 44 Blackburn Road, Summit, NJ 07901.
Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child is seeking qualified substitute educators to work with students in grades PK-6 on a per diem basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree and above or in their senior year of undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university.
Job Responsibilities will include:
- Willing to be contacted for coverage the morning of placement.
- Must be able to work the full school day of approximately from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Support the teacher by implementing the daily curriculum for assigned grade level.
- Create and maintain a positive, structured learning environment.
- Hold students to high academic and behavior standards consistent with the Oak Knoll School Mission and handbook.
- Hold students accountable during class time, transitions, meals, recess time, and other learning opportunities that may be assigned to the substitute teacher.
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a safe environment for all students.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.