The Best Private School Jobs
Oak Knoll School in Summit, NJ is a Catholic, faith-based community that rewards initiative and new ideas, recognizes and encourages professional needs and goals, and supports the success of faculty and staff members. We pride ourselves on our talented and diverse group of professionals that goes above and beyond to foster relationships with our students and has an essential part in creating confident, responsible, and creative individuals.
If you are interested in employment at Oak Knoll and do not see a current opening, please feel free to submit your resume, regardless of an open position. We are always looking for top talent.
Non-faculty and administrative positions may become open at any time throughout the year. To apply for an open position, please email your resume and cover letter to the contact noted on the specific job opening. Should your qualifications and background meet the needs of our school and the particular department, you will be contacted directly with next steps.
While openings may occur at any time of the year, Oak Knoll School’s typical recruitment process for teaching faculty begins in January for a faculty member to begin employment the following September.
- To apply for an open position, please email your resume and cover letter to the contact noted on the specific job opening.
- Should your qualifications and background meet the needs of our school, you will be granted a phone interview with either the Division Head or Department Chair.
- Following the phone interview, those who are selected will be invited on campus for an in-person interview for a day.
- While on campus for your interview, you will interview with the Division Head, Academic Dean, Department Chair and various faculty members. All of which will provide you with an overview of the mission of our school, the goals of the department and the expectations of the role.
- You will also be required to conduct a teaching demonstration and be observed teaching a lesson to a class.
- Finalists will then meet with the Head of School.
- Once an offer of employment is accepted, you will need to complete our employment application packet. Your offer of employment is contingent upon a thorough background and reference check process.
By following this hiring process, candidates will be able to gain a good perspective of what it would be like to be a part of our community.
Oak Knoll encourages employees to continue learning and growing in their professional areas of expertise. Throughout every school year, there are various on-campus and off-campus professional development opportunities, including:
- Peer-led sessions/workshops
- Expert guest speakers
Study grants are available to full-time employees to continue their education by offsetting the cost of:
- Tuition for advanced courses
- Summer work to develop a program for the school curriculum
- Enrichment in conjunction with the school curriculum
- Enrichment in conjunction with one’s professional responsibilities
- Opportunities to attend professional conferences
The determination of our dedicated teaching and non-teaching staff is critical to our success. We recognize this commitment by providing excellent benefits and services that address the needs of our employees, creating opportunities for careers in education each year. These include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary structure
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision package
- Very generous retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variety of financial assistance programs
In an effort to offer a comprehensive benefits package and a competitive compensation package, annual benchmarking is conducted to ensure that we remain competitive with our local peer independent schools and to remain within 90 percent of what the local public schools offer.
Oak Knoll is located in Summit, New Jersey, a suburban community in Union County, just 20 miles outside of New York City. Summit is easily accessible by NJ Transit (Morris Essex, Midtown-Direct line), NJ Transit # 70 bus, and car from Newark International Airport, the Garden State Parkway in addition to Routes 24, 78 & 287.
- Oak Knoll School is less than 1 mile from the nearest train station
- Summit is 20 miles west of NYC
- Median home value in Summit is $857,000
- Many of our faculty live in the City of Summit and surrounding towns, including Basking Ridge, Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Morristown, Springfield and Westfield
Oak Knoll seeks a director of Upper School Admissions who will be responsible for administering and managing the admissions process, financial aid program, and re-enrollment process for the Upper School (all girls, grades 7-12).
Specific Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Manages the program of admissions of new upper school students;
- Plans, executes, and continually reviews the variety of upper school admissions events (Open Houses, Independent School fairs, Information sessions, High School Nights etc.) to allow for a solid flow of qualified applicants to maintain capacity enrollment and maximum class size for each grade;
- Presents the school to applicants and their families through an efficient and professional system of handling inquiries, applications, visits, testing, decision notification and enrollment;
- Works with the Archdiocese of Newark in support of and outreach to the Catholic feeder schools;
- Participates in organizations and outreach programs which strengthen the commitment of Oak Knoll to being a truly diverse community in support of the School’s mission (SEEDS, Link);
- Organizes and administers, with the Director of Enrollment Management and the Financial Aid committee, the process of awards;
- Coordinates the identification of candidates and oversees the decision process for awarding the Cornelian Scholarship;
- Works with the Director of Enrollment Management and the Business office to process the e-enrollment of current families;
- Represent and participate in professional organizations such as SSATB, ERB, and NJAIS;
- Continually review and utilize available technology to provide admission information;
- Oversee with department chairs the placement testing process for newly enrolled ninth graders;
- Plan in conjunction with the upper school administrators the new family orientation programs;
- Coordinate advertising and PR efforts with the Director of Enrollment Management and the Director of Communications;
- Demonstrate and communicate a strong commitment to the goals of a Holy Child education.
To apply, please submit letter of interest, resume and 3 references to Kelly Dun, director of enrollment management and financial aid, at email@example.com. Phone calls will not be accepted.
Oak Knoll seeks an administrative assistant to the Head of School. The assistant to the Head of School is responsible for administering and managing all administrative duties for the Head of School and related to that office including, but not limited to, reporting to the Holy Child Network of Schools, Archdiocese of Newark, NJAIS, and NAIS, as well as support the Board of Trustees administratively.
Specific Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Head of School’s Office
- Manage head of school’s calendar for all events and prepare for meetings;
- Disseminate electronically and hardcopy all correspondences for the head’s office;
- Coordinate arrangements for guest and events;
- Manage head of school’s budget, invoices and credit card bills;
- Coordinate special projects e.g.: long-range plan, NJAIS/MSA accreditation, Mission Effectiveness process, Crisis Plan, Director of Network of Holy Child School’s annual visit, consultant visits, etc.
- Work with outside groups (SEEDS, NJAIS, NAIS, Archdiocese, Society of the Holy Child Jesus) re: projects, attendance, meetings, stats, etc.
Board of Trustees:
- Prepare, update, and store all board materials, letters, communications, e.g., trustee background information, profiles, confidentiality statements, conflict of interest forms, committees’ structure, reports, files, trustee emeriti;
- Manage board portal and respond to and provide information requested by/for trustees/trustee emeriti: initiate contact for setting meetings, conference calls, proofing of material, etc.;
- Attends board meeting and record and transcribe board minutes;
- Coordinate board events: orientation for new trustees, board visiting day, reception for board, faculty and staff, evaluation of head, self-evaluation of board, gifts for retiring trustees, extraordinary events, search processes, etc.;
- Set new board and executive committee meeting dates each year with input from head and board chair.
- Coordinate and track service awards, order gifts and flowers and set up for Mass of the Holy Spirit;
- Coordinate exemplar teacher applications/interviews/process, all classroom evaluation visits for head, pre-observation meeting, classroom observation and post-observation meeting, new faculty and staff orientation, In-Service schedule, all 1- 1 meetings with head and administrative team and manage agenda for each;
- Schedule all administrative team meetings and post agenda to portal;
- Coordinate and set up various receptions;
- Assist faculty and staff in general informational matters.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least 5 years of administrative assistant experience working for senior leadership;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks, budgetary as well as administrative and exceptional organizational skills;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner and anticipate and initiate the needs of the head of school’s office and upcoming tasks/events/meetings;
- Short- and long-term planning skills;
- Versed in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Confidential and discreet in all matters and materials.
To apply, please submit letter of interest, resume and 3 references to Lisa Kayal, director of human resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Start date of January 19, 2021. Phone calls will not be accepted.
Oak Knoll seeks a Spanish teacher for leave replacement. The position will be from mid-November 2020 through mid-June 2021. Teaching responsibilities include two sections of Spanish II, one section of Spanish III Honors, and 1 section of Spanish Grade 8. Additional duties such as study hall and advisory may be included in the position. To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Upper School Division Head Kathryn McGroarty at email@example.com or 44 Blackburn Road, Summit, NJ 07901.
Oak Knoll School seeks a head coach for its girls’ high school junior varsity girls lacrosse team. This position will coordinate practices, manage games, oversee the growth of the program, and promote a safe and competitive environment. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of all areas of lacrosse, and willing to work in a team setting. The season will run from March 2021 through June 2021. Candidates should be able to attend practices on weekdays from 315-530 p.m. as well as any weekend games. Please apply by sending a resume and cover letter to athletic director Kelly Childs firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child is seeking qualified substitute educators to work with students in grades 7-12 on a per diem basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree and above or in their senior year of undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university.
Job Responsibilities will include:
- Willing to be contacted for coverage the morning of placement.
- Must be able to work the full school day of approximately from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Support the teacher by implementing the daily curriculum for assigned grade level.
- Create and maintain a positive, structured learning environment.
- Hold students to high academic and behavior standards consistent with the Oak Knoll School Mission and handbook.
- Hold students accountable during class time, transitions, meals, recess time, and other learning opportunities that may be assigned to the substitute teacher.
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a safe environment for all students.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.