The Intermediate Program (Grades 5-6) at Our Private Catholic School in Summit, NJ
Our intermediate program (grades 5 and 6) focuses on preparing students to enter middle school and adolescence with the confidence and emotional maturity to succeed. As students transition from girls and boys to young women and men, they are encouraged and expected to be more independent in their learning. Teachers support them as they take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and leadership roles in clubs, sports, and service activities.
Our challenging fifth and sixth-grade curriculum helps students build on skills attained in lower grades by analyzing material in deeper ways, writing well-researched papers about a variety of subjects, and mastering the time management and study skills that will be critical in upper grades. Students embrace personal responsibility and academic integrity as they discover new interests, grow their faith, achieve intellectual, personal, and social growth, and become conscientious young adults who make meaningful contributions to society.
Signature to Intermediate Grades:
Our fifth-grade curriculum focuses on comprehension. Teachers guide students as they improve their ability to distinguish between fact and opinion, expand their vocabulary, make inferences, and draw conclusions. Students develop new strategies for effective research, note-taking, organizing content, and studying.
Our sixth-grade curriculum focuses on project-based learning. Students study historical figures, engage in hands-on activities and critical thinking discussions and complete a major research project that demonstrates these individuals’ impact on the world.
Fifth and sixth-grade students at Oak Knoll learn in technologically enhanced classrooms with access to tools that facilitate richer individual and collaborative learning experiences, including:
- 3D Printing with Tinkercad
- Augmented Reality
- Block Coding
- HTML with CoSpaces, Makey
- Legamaster Interactive Touch Monitors
- Virtual Reality with CoSpaces
Student Life at Our Independent Coed School
Fifth and sixth-grade students at Oak Knoll are offered unique opportunities to:
- CREATE: Fifth and sixth-grade students create their own videotaped commercial, which is self-written, directed, and produced.
- DANCE: Girls and boys in fifth and sixth grade are invited to participate in the Dance Apprentice program, where they take part in concert performances and take formal classes in ballet, modern dance, and jazz with middle and high school students.
- LEAD: In Oak Knoll’s signature sixth-grade Leadership Institute, students participate in leadership retreats, mini-leadership lessons throughout the school day, advisory lunches, and hallway huddles. Throughout the year, they will create measurable goals and a class mission statement. Sixth-grade students are also invited to run for elected office on the Executive Board of the Student Council.
- REFLECT: Fifth and sixth-grade students participate in annual retreats, where they spend half-days at an off-campus location, reflecting on life, faith, and their place in the world.
- SERVE: Fifth-grade students learn about food insecurity when the class travels to serve and learn at the Morris County Interfaith Food Pantry.