Six Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus and seven lay teachers crossed the Atlantic to transform Summit’s Larned Estate into Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child. Their dedication to “Simplicity, Humility and Charity” began with the education of 17 children who became Oak Knoll’s “pioneer” students when they entered on September 24, 1924.
After World War II, new buildings were needed as enrollment increased and programs developed. In 1954, Bonaventura Hall was constructed for the elementary grades, and in 1956, construction on the new Upper School, Connelly Hall, was completed.
Under the direction of a Strategic Plan, Oak Knoll modernizes its campus with renovations to Grace Hall, including state-of-the-art science laboratories, evidence of Oak Knoll’s early commitment to women in science.
Renovation and growth characterized the ’90s — the renovation of the Lower School’s Bonaventura Hall Library in 1992; the addition of the Tisdall Hall athletic complex and expansion of the Upper School’s Hope Memorial Library in 1993; the renovation of Grace Hall Chapel in 1994; the completion of the Mother Campion Center for the Performing Arts in 1995; and modernization of the Aileen Maury Dining Hall in 1997.
To ensure the preservation of Oak Knoll’s rich Holy Child heritage for future generations of students, the board of trustees announced the establishment of the Acorn Fund Endowment Campaign. This long-term development effort continues to raise vital funding for Oak Knoll’s endowment, providing the financial reserves necessary to sustain a student body reflective of today’s world.
Building for the future of athletics, Oak Knoll begins to acquire property in Chatham to develop an athletic complex.
Oak Knoll opens a 13-acre complex in Chatham, affording the school a field house and two multi-purpose playing fields.
From its modest beginnings, Oak Knoll’s current enrollment now exceeds 500 students. Growth and change continue to be evident at Oak Knoll as the school endeavors to fulfill Cornelia Connelly’s exhortation to “meet the wants of the age.” Cornelia Connelly’s educational philosophy, dedicated to the growth of the whole child “in all learning and all virtues,” has guided Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child throughout its nine decades of existence, providing over 2,000 young women and men with an excellent foundation for lives of achievement, service, and fulfillment. In 2012 and 2013, as part of a $12 million Inspiring Action capital campaign, Oak Knoll’s visual and performing arts facilities in both the Lower and Upper schools were renovated. The Lower School science lab and Upper School science wings were upgraded.