Spring Track and Field Finishes with New Personal and Team Records
The Oak Knoll Spring Track and Field team sprinted toward a strong finish to their season this month, but not before setting new personal and team records, including the largest number of students (60) to join the OKS Spring Track and Field team to date.
Spring Track and Field excelled both on an individual and team level, including six girls who competed at the recent Meet of Champions. The team finished fifth at the Union County Relays, sixth at the Union County Individual Championships, and clinched the Union County Conference Mountain Division title. The team set multiple relay records throughout the season in the 4X800, distance medley, and 4×1 mile. These successes qualified the team to run in several events at the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania.
On Friday, June 17 and Saturday, June 18, a record number of six students competed in and finished fourth overall as a team in the Non-Public A Group State Championships at Middletown North High School. As a team, the Royals placed third in the North Jersey section with 76 points and Megan McCann ’23 clinched the state championship in the high jump with a height of 5’0”.
The Royals wrapped up at the NJSIAA Meet of Champions at Franklin High School in Somerset, NJ, on Monday, June 20, where Lily Murphy ’22 placed second in the 3200-meter race (10:49.45) and Sarah McManus ’22, Danya Spoor ’25, McCann, and Murphy placed fifth in the 4×800 meter relay (9:48.10).
The other Oak Knoll students who competed in the Meet of Champions include:
- 100M H – 16.93″ Heidi Pearce ’24 – 17th Place
- 400M H -1:06.99 Danya Spoor ’25 – 13th Place
- 200M – 26.37 Janet Pearce ’22 – 10th Place (PR)
- 400M – 1:03.03 Janet Pearce ’22 – 12th Place
- 800M – 2:26.95 Megan McCann ’23 – 17th Place
- 800M -2:30.48 – Sarah McManus ’22 – 19th Place
- High Jump – Megan McCann ’23 & Danya Spoor ’25 both competed in this event
“This has been a year full of great results across the board,” said Spring Track and Field Head Coach Mickey Cassu. “The most rewarding result for me was seeing the seniors – whom I met four years ago – develop into the beautiful young athletic women they are today.”
Throughout the Royals spring season, several students set new records as follows:
- 100M High Hurdles -16.57 (Heidi Pearce ’24)
- 4X800 Relay-9:34 (Lily Murphy ’22, Sarah McManus ’22, Megan McCann ’23, Danya Spoor ’25)
- 4X1600 Relay-22:15 (Lily Murphy ’22, Sarah McManus ’22, Betsy Keenan ’22, Megan McCann ’23)
- Distance Medley Relay- Two times this season at the Summit Relays in 12:43 and again at Union County Relays in 12:26 (Lily Murphy ’22, Sarah McManus ’22, Janet Pearce ’22, Lily Venezia ’25)
“This has been an extremely successful spring track season, with many personal and school record setting times and achievements,” said Oak Knoll Athletic Director Kelly Childs. “Our track and field coaches, led by Mickey Cassu, have worked tirelessly to teach so many newcomers about the many intricacies of competing in Track and Field. Through Mickey’s guidance, dedication to the development of all student athletes, and willingness to organize the chaos of meets and practices, we can truly say our track and field program is one to watch. The accolades aside, it’s a program that welcomes all, and I think our coaches, captains, and student athletes for making it that way. We look forward to watching the continued growth of our running programs – cross country, winter track, and our spring season.”
Way to go, Royals!